Thursday, February 19, 2009

Elder Sarver and Elder Smith are standing in front of the gates at the church. Dave the guard is walking through the gate. Dave is taking my English class and is really starting to do better. I bought a bunch of really nice and colorfully illustrated hard back Arabian Nights and Sinbad the Sailer type children's books for my students to check out and take home with them. Although most of my students are older teen age boys and men, they love the books. I asked Dave where his book was that I had leant him and he said Kool Deep (remember the very sauve and seemingly well educated mission handyman?) had borrowed it. Everybody laughs when I tell them about it. I think these people are so poor and their schools so barren, these books are just so beautiful and exciting to them.
While I was at the church snapping the first picture, I turned around and there was a man riding by on his white horse. Then if you look at the leaves in the background you get an idea of their proportions. The next picture is a close up of one of those huge leaves. Notice the dirt on it. I think the dirt on the leaves was one of things that really struck me when we first came here. Everything is covered with dirt. I guess that is why when the monsoon season begins, it is so welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment